The King of Fighters '98 UMFE/Kyo Kusanagi
Kyo is primarily a close-range pressure and mixup character. In neutral, he has access to some helpful moves for getting in, including his guard-point rekkas, as well as some solid poking normals. Close range is where Kyo is really good, as he can use his strong hop normals and lows to open up the opponent. He has good confirms into his DMs from both lows and heavies, as well as strong corner juggles, making his damage fairly high overall. On defense he has access to a good invincible DP. Kyo's weaknesses are that he lacks anything to fight at long range, since he doesn't have a projectile, and that his meterless low confirms are pretty lackluster.
Preferred Mode and Position
Although he slightly prefers some aspects of Advanced mode, Kyo can be effective in both Advanced and Extra mode.
Run vs Step
- Kyo prefers Run over Step as it helps him with his up-close, rushdown game and it makes it easier to set up cross-ups after knockdowns.
- However, Kyo isn't bad with Step as his step dash has good length and speed, and the increased walk speed helps with tick throws and can make a couple quick max combos easier.
Roll vs Dodge
- Personal preference.
Advanced vs Extra Gauge
- Kyo prefers Advanced gauge over Extra gauge, as he can build meter with his offense, Advanced gauge can store multiple stocks at once which allows Kyo to have more consistent access to his cr.B, cr.A, qcfx2+P super combo as a mid or anchor which is quite useful as his meterless low options are not great, and he doesn't need to stop his offense to charge after using meter.
- However, Kyo can make pretty good use of Extra gauge as well since he has good quick max combos.
- Kyo benefits from being further back in your team order with both gauges. With Advanced gauge, he likes to have access to more saved up stocks for his super combos. With Extra gauge, he wants to take advantage of the greater red health window for free supers, which gets progressively bigger from the first to the third character.
- Although, Kyo on point is more effective in Extra mode as he can charge up to get meter more quickly.
Changes from Previous Versions
98 to 98UM
- cl.C activation range has been decreased
- Far A now has reduced priority
- Far D now has 4 frames less startup
- The first hitbox on 2C has been shortened and the second hitbox has been lengthened
- 2D now has reduced priority
- j.D now has reduced priority
- You can no longer use j.2C during step dash
- 63214K now has increased damage
- 236P now has reduced reach
- 623C now reliably hits twice, even when hitting an airborne opponent
- 2141236P now has increased damage
- 236236P now has decreased damage
98UM to 98UMFE
- cl.A now has 2 frames less recovery
- cr.A now has 1 frame less recovery
- 236A damage has been increased from 10 to 13, guard point has been lengthened by 2 frames
- More moves will now trigger 214P's counterhit during the startup frames
|Neutral Jump B|
|Neutral Jump D|
|Thundering Axe Burst
|Drop to Naraku
- Regular throw, techable. Kyo smacks his opponent in the face with his forearm for a soft knockdown.
Swift Shoulder Throw:
- Regular throw, techable. Kyo throws his opponent behind him, then does an elbow drop. Causes a backturned hard knockdown.
|New Wave Smash
2141236P (can be held)
- In Max Mode moves have more pushback, so some combos won't work the same. Most notably for Kyo, you cannot do two 2Bs into a 2A, and cl.C into 236D will only work at the corner, at midscreen it will miss even if do a cross-up or you don't do a jump-in.
- cl.C is generally the preferred close normal to use in combos as it is slightly faster, but cl.D has a larger cancellable window which can be useful if you have trouble comboing into say, 236236P.
- In any metered combo, you can replace 236236P with 236236AC or 2141236P with 2141236AC if you have 3 stocks in Advanced mode or are at low health and in max mode in Extra Mode.
2Bx1~2, 2A, 3D
- Easy and reliable low combo that is safe on block so no need to hit confirm, but not much damage and no knockdown.
- You can add a second 2B for more damage and a longer confirm but you will need to hit confirm the 2A, 3D, as 2A will whiff after two blocked 2Bs.
2B, 2A, 623C
- More damaging low combo, results in a soft knockdown.
2B, cl.C, 236C > 63214P > 6P
- Kyo's most damaging meterless low conversion, but requires a very tight 1-frame link from 2B to cl.C.
(j.X), cl.C, 236C > 63214P > 6P
- Standard jump-in combo.
(j.X), cl.C, 421B/63214K
- 63214K Does less damage, but offers a hard knockdown instead of a soft one.
- Note, 421B only combos on standing opponents.
(j.X), cl.C, 236D > D, 421B
- Damaging upkick combo ending in hard knockdown that can be done anywhere on the screen, most commonly from a cross-up j.2C or j.B. You need to be very close for 236D to connect after cl.C.
(j.X), cl.C, 236D > D, 236A > 63214P > 6P
- Kyo's most damaging meterless combo, ends in hard knockdown. Can only be done near the corner.
2Bx1~2, 2A, 236236+P
- Strong low confirm.
2B, cl.A, 236236+P
- Easier alternative to the previous combo. You can do this as 2B, 236A, 236P for an easier cancel.
(j.X), 2B, 2A, 236236+P
- Good confirm into super.
(j.X), 2A, 236236P
- Use this variant to combo into super after a non-crossup j.2C or if you're in max mode, as in either of these situations there will be too much pushback to reliably combo two crouching lights into super. Also useful if you are too far to connect 2B, 2A after a jump-in.
(j.X), 2C, 2141236C
- Alternate super combo. Does less damage than comboing into 236236P outside of max mode, but will do more damage in max mode than the previous combo. Does not work with the SDM version 2141236AC.
(j.X), cl.C, 236D > D, 2141236P
- More damaging super combo. Can work from either midscreen or corner provided you're close enough for the upkicks to connect.
With Quick MAX
2B, 2A, ABC, cl.C, 236C > 63214P > 6P
- Damaging quick max low combo.
- You need a slight microwalk after the quick max activation for the full combo to connect. This combo is much easier with the increased walk speed from step.
2B, 2A, ABC, cl.D, 421B
- Easy quick max combo from lows, no microwalk required and gives hard knockdown but less damaging and only works on standing opponents.
2Bx1~2, 2A, 236236ABC
- Max Bypass combo to go into SDM from crouching lights if you are not already in max mode. Make sure you are not holding any directions when you press ABC.
2B, cl.A, 236236ABC
- Easier alternative to the previous combo. You can do this as 2B, 236A, 236ABC for an easier cancel. Make sure you are not holding any directions when you press ABC.
(j.X), cl.C, 236C, ABC, cl.C, 236C > 63214P > 6P
- Standard quick max combo, good damage and gets you into max mode.
(j.X), cl.C, 236C, ABC, cl.C, 421+B
- Alternate quick max combo. Does a little less damage but ends in hard knockdown, only works on standing opponents.
j.B, ABC, cl.C, 236C > 63214P > 6P
- High and fast jump-in combo enabled by quick max.
(j.X), cl.C, 236C, ABC, 2A, 236236P
- Quick max combo into super. Most useful when you're at low health and have access to the SDM version of qcfx2+P, otherwise the first jump-in combo is better, as it lets you stay in max mode and the damage difference is small.
(j.X), cl.C, 236C, ABC, 2141236AC
- Useful when you're at low health and have access to the SDM version of 2141236P. The first part of the SDM where Kyo is holding the flame will juggle the opponent, then you release to get the rest of the hits. Easier to execute than the previous combo, as you can do the super input during the quick max 236C recovery and hold the button to have it come out as soon as possible. Make sure you quick max as early as possible on the 236C so you have as much frame advantage as possible.
- At the corner, you can get up to three hits with the initial part of the SDM 2141236P where Kyo is holding the flame.
- Note: against small and tiny crouchers, 2141236AC can be more prone to whiffing and you need to be quite close to the opponent for the combo to connect. When you recover from the 236C, after doing the super motion (2141236) you can continue to hold forward and delay the A/C press slightly so you get a slight walk forward, this will bring you a little closer and help you connect the SDM.
(j.X), cl.C, 236C, ABC, cl.C, 236D > D, 236A > 63214P > P
- Even more damaging quick max corner combo ending in hard knockdown, but you need to be very close for 236D to connect. On the initial jump-in, try timing cl.C so it hits as soon as you land so there's minimal pushback, and after quick max activation hold forward to ensure you're as close as possible for the upkicks to connect.
- Try to delay the final follow-up of 236A a little bit, as max mode will result in the opponent bouncing slightly higher after 63214P, so the final P follow-up can whiff if you do it too quickly.
(j.X), cl.C, 236C, ABC, cl.C, 236D > D, 2141236AC(2), 236A > 63214P > P
- Kyo's highest damage combo possible. Requires low health as you need the SDM version of 2141236P to get the juggle. You need to be very close as with the previous combo.
- To hit 236A after the SDM, you need to time the SDM so that only two hits connect. Make sure you delay the second kick of 236D.