The King of Fighters '98 UMFE/EX Robert
EX Robert is a well-rounded character with some good space control tools. For long distance, he has an aerial projectile, and for midrange he has a nice assortment of buttons to control space and keep the opponent out. Up close, he has access to nice confirms, a good overhead, and some good corner pressure. To round out his kit, he has a good DP for anti-airs and reversals, and a kicking move that will vacuum the opponent in and can catch jumps or pokes. His main weakness is that he lacks really scary mixups.
Changes from Previous Versions
98 to 98UM
- st.C now has 6 fewer active frames and 6 more recovery frames
- j.A's hitbox has been moved upwards, reducing its downwards priority
- j.D's priority has been reduced
- f+A now has 2 more active frames
- hcb+B now has 5 frames less recovery
- hcb+D now has 7 frames less startup, so it can connect from lights
- f,b,f+K now causes a juggle state
- dp+C now launches on first hit, making it a reliable combo tool
- f,hcf+P now has 4 frames faster startup and 1 frame less recovery; A version now combos from heavy normals
- qcf,hcb+AC now has fewer startup frames so you can combo it from f+B
98UM to 98UMFE
- st.CD now has longer reach
- f+A's hitbox has been lengthened
- j.qcb+K's recovery after landing has been reduced by 4 frames for the B version and 3 frames for the D version
- hcb+B now causes a juggle state
- hcb,f+P's C and MAX versions now have faster startup
- qcf,hcb+AC's invincibility is now 10 frames longer
- cl.A: Same as st.A.
- cl.B: A standing low move. It's good for some mixups when combined with his f+A. Cancelable.
- cl.C: A fairly standard cl.C. Comes out fast, so it's good for combos and meaties. Cancelable.
- cl.D: Has two hits: one that goes upwards and then one downwards. Safe on block, so it can be used to push people out.
- st.A: Good for stopping hops. Whiffs on low crouchers. Chainable.
- st.B: A decent poke, but not useful for much else.
- st.C: A fast poke with good range. Excellent for stopping hops. Whiffs on low crouchers.
- st.D: A fairly slow far-ranged poke with nice priority. Whiffs on tiny crouchers.
- cr.A: Has short range for a cr.A. Outclassed by cr.B in nearly all aspects, with the exception that cr.A will cancel into command normals. Chainable and cancelable.
- cr.B: Your main low poke and combo tool. Chainable and cancelable.
- cr.C: Has two hits, the first hits in front of him and the second above him. The first part can be a good ground poke, and the second an anti-air. Cancelable.
- cr.D: Average speed for a sweep, with good range. Cancelable on hit, block, and whiff.
- j.A: Fast normal with good reach, nice priority, and a lot of active frames. Can work both for air-to-airs and as a jump-in.
- j.B: EX Robert's only crossup, so good to use for that. Can also work as a regular jump-in, but j.D is a better tool for that. Cancelable.
- j.C: Similar to j.A, but trades some priority for the added hitstun of a jumping heavy.
- j.D: EX Robert's main jump-in normal, as it has a nice hitbox around his foot. Cancelable.
- st.CD: Long-ranged poke. Good to use as a whiff-canceling tool. Cancelable on hit, block, and whiff.
- j.CD: Excellent air-to-air with a lot of horizontal reach. Hard to hit on grounded opponents, as it will completely whiff on low crouchers.
Kick of the Dragon:
- Regular throw, techable. EX Robert flips backwards, sending the opponent flying back 80% of the screen, causing a soft knockdown.
- Regular throw, techable. Robert grabs the opponent and slams them behind him, sending them almost fullscreen away. Causes a backturned hard knockdown.
Soaring Dragon Kick:
- Big poke, cancelable both raw and when canceled into.
- Good to use in combos and the occasional blockstring.
- Very punishable on block if not canceled.
- An airborne overhead move, but loses the overhead property when canceled from a normal move (unless late-canceled).
- Safe on block when done raw.
- Useful for combos and pressure in the corner.
- Good to late-cancel into as a mixup.
- Also good as a midscreen poke.
Lightning Legs Knockout Kick:
- EX Robert does an advancing flying kick. B version starts up slower and does one hit, D version does two hits.
- B version is safe on block when properly spaced, and launches the opponent on hit.
- D version is unsafe on block, but does more damage and can combo from lights.
Dragon Blast Punch:
- This is a full traveling projectile, unlike normal Robert's version.
- Travels high in the air, so it can be low-profiled.
- Whiffs on low crouchers.
- Good to use for zoning and to end blockstrings with.
- EX Robert's DP move. A version only has 1 frame of invincibility, and C version has invincibility during all of the startup and into the first active frame.
- A version comes out fast and travels pretty high upwards, so it functions as a good anti-air.
- C version does two hits and functions as your reversal, and an anti-air as well since it travels even higher than the A version.
- C version is a nice combo tool from lights.
Flying Dragon Kick:
qcb+B/D in air)
- An aerial dive kick. B version comes out at a steeper angle, while D version comes out at a shallower one.
- Good tool for changing up your jumping arc and momentum to throw people's anti-air attempts off.
- Good combo and pressure tool in the corner when cancelled out of f+A, as Robert is plus on block after it in this situation.
- Generally safe on block when done raw unless it hits very high up on a standing opponent.
Great Spirit Kick:
- A multi-hitting kick in place. On hit, both versions are the same, but on block and whiff D version stays out longer.
- The last hit launches the opponent.
- Unsafe on block or whiff.
- Good to combo into from heavy buttons.
- Has an extremely good hitbox, so it can be hard to beat out from the front.
Haoh Shokou Ken:
- A giant super projectile. A version travels slower than C version.
- Can be used as anti-air or anti-fireball move.
- C version can be used in combos.
- MAX version does more hits and damage.
- A classic ranbu attack.
- Best used in combos, as it does good damage.
- Has no invincibility, which limits its usefulness in neutral and as an anti-air since it's prone to trading.
- On block, some of the hits will whiff on short crouchers, making it deal less chip damage.
- MAX version does more hits and damage.
- You can replace qcf,hcb+P with qcf,hcb+AC for more damage if you have 3 stocks in Advanced Mode.
- Simple low confirm combo. dp+C does slightly more damage, but hcb+D has better corner carry.
(j.X), cl.C, f+B, hcb+D
(j.X), cl.C, f+B, hcb+B, dp+C
- Heavy starter combo to use close to the corner.
(j.X), cl.C, f+B, qcf,hcb+P
With Quick MAX
(j.X), cl.C, f,b,f+K, ABC, f+B, f,b,f+K, dp+C
- A Quick MAX combo that works close to the corner.
j.CD, f,b,f+K, ABC, f+B, f,b,f+K, dp+C
- Counterhit j.CD Quick MAX combo at the corner.
(j.X), cl.C, f,b,f+K, ABC, f+B, f,hcf+P/qcf,hcb+P