The King of Fighters '98 UMFE/Mr. Big
Mr. Big is both a poking and mixup character, with long reach that he can use to control neutral. He has multiple ways of reflecting projectiles, so he's not helpless against zoners despite his larger size and poke-heavy gameplay. He also has a good selection of mixup tools for when he feels like going in, with access to an overhead, good low confirms, and a 1f command grab. His main weakness is a lack of any kind of invincible reversal, and a minor one is that all of his longest pokes whiff on short crouchers, so he has more trouble against them.
Changes from Previous Versions
98UM to 98UMFE
- cr.A is now cancelable into command moves
- cr.B is now easier to combo into cr.A
- cr.C is now cancelable into command moves
- f+A is now cancelable if cancelled into
- Mash P can now be mashed harder to get pushed out of range on hit, it is now easier to get multiple hits, and the first hit now does less damage
- hcb+K now reflects grounded projectiles
- cl.A: Close poke, works as an anti-hop button since it hits about the same area as st.A. Whiffs on regular crouchers. Chainable and cancelable.
- cl.B: Short reach, so while you can technically chain into it, it will just whiff. This can be used as a throw setup by intentionally doing cr.B, cl.B (Whiff) and then throw. Chainable and cancelable.
- cl.C: Your main heavy combo button. Fast and has a high hitbox, so it can catch jumpers. Cancelable.
- cl.D: Starts up slower than cl.C, but has longer reach, making it useful in a few very specific combos. Cancelable.
- st.A: A decent anti-hop button due to its range and height. Whiffs on regular crouchers.
- st.B: Hits high up with great priority, making it good at stopping hops or to use as a high-hitting poke.
- st.C: A big two-hitting move with a lot of reach. The first hit will hit regular crouchers, but the second hit only hits tall crouchers. First hit is cancelable on hit, block, and whiff. Generally you always want to cancel this into something.
- st.D: A big kick upwards. Can be used as an okay preemptive anti-air.
- cr.A: A good poke with a lot of reach to control the ground with. Cancelable.
- cr.B: Standard low starter. Chainable and cancelable.
- cr.C: Midrange poke that hits low. Cancelable on hit, block, and whiff.
- cr.D: Fairly long-range sweep. Hits low.
- j.A: A downwards poke. Decent jump-in when you want something more reliable than j.C.
- nj.A: Long-range air-to-air.
- j.B: Great air-to-air normal since it comes out fast, reaches high up, and has good priority.
- j.C: A two-hitting air normal, making it great for pressure and mixups. Due to its two-hitting nature, it can make confirming off of it harder since sometimes the first hit will whiff.
- j.D: A big downwards kick. Starts up slow and has few active frames, so not a great move.
- st.CD: Fairly slow startup, but still a good midrange poke since it has nice range and superb priority. Cancelable on hit, block, and whiff.
- j.CD: Great jump-in for pressure, since it comes out fairly fast for a j.CD and has a great downwards hitbox.
Million Dollar Buster:
- Regular throw, techable. Mr. Big picks up the opponent and slams them down in front of him, sending them fullscreen with a backturned hard knockdown.
- Regular throw, techable. Mr. Big picks up the opponent and flings them fullscreen behind him with a soft knockdown.
- An overhead. When canceled into, it loses its overhead property but becomes cancelable, making it a staple in his heavy combos.
- When late-canceled into, it maintains its overhead property, allowing you to mix up an unsuspecting opponent.
- Can be combo-ed from by Quick MAX-ing it and linking a cr.A.
- Mr. Big plays the drums on the opponent's body.
- A 1f command grab, so it can be combo-ed into.
- Good to use for mixups.
- Causes a hard knockdown.
- Mr. Big creates a big energy wave on the ground in front of him that looks similar to Terry's Power Wave.
- The A version comes out faster but has less reach than the C version.
- The A version can be combo-ed from a cl.C or cl.D. The C version is too slow to combo from anything.
- Can be a good poke or frametrap at closer ranges.
- However, it can also be quite easily jumped over or rolled if done at the wrong time.
- Mr. Big does a horizontal spin, hitting the enemy once then knocking them down.
- A version goes halfscreen while C version goes fullscreen.
- A version combos from hard attacks and pushes back if you hit your opponent at a distance, but may be punished by some characters with fast DMs.
- A spinning attack that reflects only airborne fireballs.
- The A version does 2 to 3 hits, while the C version does 11 hits only on tall characters.
- Since Mr. Big is spinning, it hits on both sides of him.
- Can be an effective anti-air, since it covers a lot of space around Mr. Big's upper body.
press A/C repeatedly
- Mr. Big slides forward slowly while wacking away with his sticks. The hits do not combo.
- A version goes for a much shorter distance than the C version.
- Is in a counterhit state while activated.
- Only really good for chip damage kills, as it's not very safe to throw out otherwise.
- Sort-of DP.
- The A version does 3 hits up close, while the C version does 4.
- Doesn't have startup invincibility, though it does have autoguard for the first two hits.
- While it doesn't have any invincibility, the A version can still be an okay anti-air due to it having nice hitboxes for anti-airing. The first two hits having autoguard also helps.
- A stationary projectile with very quick startup that looks similar to Benimaru's qcfx2+P.
- His main combo DM, as it has long enough reach to combo even after long light strings or after his f+A.
- Also fairly safe on block.
- The MAX version does 10 hits, while the normal version does 4 hits.
- A 1f command grab DM.
- Can be combo-ed into, but is mostly used for a higher damage mixup/close-range punish.
- The MAX version does more damage.
cr.Bx1-2, cr.A, dp+C
- Main meterless low BnB.
(j.X), cl.C, f+A, dp+C
- Main meterless jump-in/heavy BnB.
cr.Bx2-3, cr.A, qcfx2+P
- Main metered low BnB. Getting 3 cr.Bs requires you to be point-blank, so just doing 2 is fine.
(j.X), cl.C, f+A, qcfx2+P
- Main metered jumpin/heavy BnB.
With Quick MAX
f+A, ABC, cr.A, qcfx2+P
- An Extra meter Quick MAX combo from his overhead. You need to be close enough that the cr.A will reach after the overhead for it to work.
f+A, ABC, cl.D, qcfx2+P
- Very situational version of the above. You hit f+A point blank.