The King of Fighters '98 UMFE/EX Kyo
EX Kyo is a balanced fighter that has tools to fight at all ranges. In neutral, he has access to a grounded projectile, a good 623, and a super backdash, alongside some decent pokes for controlling space with. Up close, he has an excellent pressure tool in his air command normal that allows for strong blockstrings and also works as a good crossup. His combo game from heavies is excellent due to his special launcher and his multiple hard knockdown finishers. He also benefits from cornering the opponent, as he gets access to more damaging corner combos. His main weakness is his pretty weak low confirm options.
Changes from Previous Versions
98 to 98UM
- cl.C's activation range has been decreased
- Far A now has reduced priority
- Far D now starts up 4 frames faster
- The first hitbox on 2C has been shortened, and the second hitbox has been lengthened
- 2D now has reduced priority
- j.D now has reduced priority
- You can no longer use j.2C during Extra mode step dash
- 236P's hitbox size has been reduced
- 623C now reliably hits 2 times, even when hitting an airborne opponent
- 421B's recovery has been reduced by 2 frames
- 421D's startup has been reduced by 1 frame, and its recovery has been reduced by 3 frames
- 63214K's damage has been increased
- EX Kyo now uses sound files from '95
98UM to 98UMFE
- cl.A now has 2 frames less recovery
- 2A now has 1 frame less recovery
- 236P now has 3 frames less recovery, but builds less meter
|Neutral Jump B
|Neutral Jump D
|Thundering Axe Burst
|Drop to Naraku
Anvil Slam [Hachi Tetsu]:
- Regular throw, techable. EX Kyo smacks his opponent in the face with his forearm.
Swift Shoulder Throw [Issestsu Seoi Nage]:
- Regular throw, techable. EX Kyo throws his opponent behind him, then performs an elbow drop. Switches sides, hard knockdown.
Dark Thrust [Yami Barai]:
- EX Kyo's grounded projectile. C version goes faster and does a bit more damage than the A version.
- Either version can be used to control space or to safely end a blockstring.
Fire Ball [Oniyaki]:
- EX Kyo's 623. Can be combo-ed into from most cancelable normals.
- Causes a soft knockdown.
- Has both autoguard and invincibility at the beginning of the move.
- The hitbox is all around EX Kyo, but does not extend as high as his normal variant.
- A version deals one hit and is safer to use in combos; C version deals two hits, travels higher, and has more invincibility, making it a good reversal.
Spinning kick [Oboroguruma]:
- Can be combo-ed into from most normals.
- Will whiff on crouching opponents.
- B version has EX Kyo do an upwards jump kick. If the opponent is hit by this move in the air, they're put in a juggle state, which ends in a soft knockdown if not followed up.
- D version has Kyo fly through the air, traveling roughly 3/4 of the screen, with two of the upwards kicks, then flips forward with his foot, sending the opponent into the ground. Has good corner carry, deals more damage than 623C, and causes a hard knockdown with good oki. Your ideal combo ender.
New Wave Smash [Kai]:
- EX Kyo does an upwards jumping kick, then a second one after the kick button is pressed a second time.
- Second hit juggles the opponent; if not followed up, it deals a soft knockdown.
- B version only allows for 623P to connect afterward, while the D version can be followed up with a variety of moves, including the B version.
Crescent Slash [Kototsuki Yo]:
- EX Kyo runs after the opponent, faster than his normal run, then performs a hitgrab.
- Very unsafe on block.
- Can be combo-ed into from heavy normals and f+B.
- Causes a hard knockdown, allowing for an okizeme opportunity.
2141236P (can be held)
2B, 2A, 421D
- Basic low confirm into hard knockdown. Has good corner carry.
(j.X), cl.C, 421D
(j.B/j.D/j.2C), cl.C, 236D,D, j.2C/63214D/421D
- Combo off of a grounded heavy or crossup jump-in. j.2C ender must be done off a superjump, and 421D ender requires a short run before doing.
(j.X), cl.C, 236D,D, 421B, 421D
- Must be executed as quickly as possible for the combo to fully connect.
(j.X), 2C, 2141236C
cl.C, 236D,D, 2141236C
(j.X), cl.C, 236D,D, 2141236AC, 421D
- Second D in 236D,D must be delayed as much as possible and 2141236AC must be timed to hit only twice for it to juggle into 421D properly.
With Quick MAX
At or Approaching Corner
(j.X), cl.C, 236D,D, 421B, ABC, 421B, 623C
(j.X), cl.C, 236D,D, 421B, ABC, 2141236C
Strategy & Tips
The second button press of 236D,D must be delayed as late as possible to get SDM 2141236P to hit only twice.
(2:35) Shows the difference between regular and EX Kyo's hitboxes on 623. It seems no other hitboxes differ between the two.