The King of Fighters '98 UMFE/Chang Koehan
Chang is a character defined by his strong long-range normals that he can use to shut the opponent's movement down and pressure them from midrange. This will push the opponent into the corner, where Chang can run strong pressure with his high-priority jump buttons and his ball spin special move for chipping. Chang can be really strong when he's in control of a match, but he is equally weak when not in control. His large size makes it easier to hit him and mix him up, and his slow speed means that it's hard for him to approach an opponent who is in control. On defense his buttons are slow, and his only real invincible reversal is a super that carries a lot of risk.
Changes from Previous Versions
98 to 98UM
- st.A's hurtbox lenghtened
- df+A's startup decreased by 2 frames
- st.D's startup decreased by 5 frames
- j.D's active frames reduced
- j.CD's startup increased
- j.C's priority reduced
- j.CD's priority and damage reduced
- D throw deals less damage and has fewer maximum hits
- Mash P's movement speed increased
- Mash P's meter gain reduced, now takes 18 ABCD cancels to build a bar of meter instead of 6
- d~u+B startup reduced by 6 frames, added one invincibility frame at the first active frame
- d~u+D startup reduced by 7 frames
- qcfx2+P now reliably scores 2 hits even on a regular hit, but the damage has been lowered on counterhit
- The MAX version of the super now has both hits combo, but the second hit deals less damage; on an aerial hit it barely does more damage than the regular super
98UM to 98UMFE
- j.C now has its old hitbox back
- j.CD now has its old hitbox back
- cl.A: Standard close ranged punch. Cancelable.
- cl.B: Same as st.B.
- cl.C: Two-hit close-ranged ball strike. Has a lot of pushback and is safe on block. Note that this is not cancelable.
- cl.D: A high kick. Whiffs on regular and low crouchers. Can catch people jumping when you're going for a D throw. Cancelable.
- st.A: A standing jab punch with a lot of reach. Excellent at stuffing both hops and jumps.
- st.B: Chang's fastest grounded button at 5f, and therefore your best choice to cancel things from. It also has more hitstun than regular lights, making it possible to combo some things that wouldn't normally combo from a light, like linking a cr.A after it. Cancelable.
- st.C: Fairly slow both on startup and recovery, but it does occupy a nice bit of space in front of Chang that will hit most standing characters and jumps. Has a deadzone from Chang's wrist to his body. Whiffs on crouchers except for large ones. Has a lot of priority.
- st.D: Another move with a lot of reach, at the price of fairly long startup and recovery. Good to hit against regular and low crouchers. Loses to jumps.
- cr.A: One of his go-to buttons to cancel into hcb,f+P or mash P. Cancelable
- cr.B: Hits low, use it to hit people standing. Combos into hcb,f+P or mash P. Cancelable.
- cr.C: Slow anti-air move. Cancelable on hit, block, and whiff.
- cr.D: One of Chang's main pokes because it hits low and is cancelable into mash P to make it safe and catch people jumping over it. Has a deadzone between the ball and Chang. Cancelable on hit, block, and whiff.
- j.A: Has a good air-to-air hitbox and a ton of active frames. Use it to preemptively beat opponents' jumping attacks or to catch hops. Whiffs on all crouchers.
- j.B: Chang does a similar kick to st.B, but in the air. Good jump-in button that can start combos.
- j.C: Very fast and a good space control move to hit anything in front of Chang, has good priority. Has a deadzone between the ball and Chang.
- j.D: A good jump-in normal. Can crossup. Good to use when you're too close to use j.C because of its blindspot.
- st.CD: Chang does a forwards belly thrust. Has a great hitbox that acts as a wall just in front of Chang. Good to throw out midscreen to stuff opponents' attacks or advance. Can be cancelled into mash P and b~f+A to make it safer. Can be canceled on hit, block, and whiff. Causes soft knockdown.
- j.CD: An amazing normal for Chang. Occupies a lot of space with good priority. Works both as an air-to-air and jump-in simultaneously. Causes soft knockdown.
- Regular throw, techable. Chang picks up the opponent and headbutts them, sending them flying full screen away. Causes soft knockdown.
- Hold throw, untechable. Chang picks the opponent up and chokes them with his chain. Chang can increase the number of hits and damage by mashing but the opponent can countermash to counteract this. Causes soft knockdown.
- Does not switch sides, meaning Chang has two ways to threaten with throw in the corner (three including hcb,f+P) but no way to throw his way out of the corner.
- This is the preferred throw to use since it's untechable.
Hit and Run:
- Chang slides on his stomach with the iron ball in front of him.
- Does not have low invulnerability, but does make his hurtbox very low to the ground so it can low-profile aerial travelling projectiles and higher attacks.
- Very unsafe on block unless spaced at maximum range.
Breaking Iron Ball:
- Chang leans back and winds up for a swing, and then proceeds to swing his ball as far as it will go.
- The startup where Chang leans back has autoguard, with the A version having less and the C version having it for longer. The A version is faster with less range than the C version.
- Good to use at range, and good option to cancel into from a cr.D or st.CD at further ranges.
- If you use it at close range you're most likely going to be punished, as the opponent can hit you out of it between the autoguard period and the point where the move actually hits.
Spinning Iron Ball:
press A/C repeatedly
- Chang spins his ball above his head multiple times. A version spins fewer times than C.
- You can cancel the ballspins at any point by pressing ABCD.
- Can be used as a good anti-air.
- One common use for this move is to whiff cancel into it from cr.D and st.CD to catch people trying jump or hit you. In the corner it can be used to deal chip damage.
- If you hold forward or back he will slowly move in those directions.
- It's vulnerable to lows.
- It also nullifies projectiles.
- Causes soft knockdown.
Flying Ball Breaker:
- Chang attempts a Hienzan but ends up falling on his back.
- It can hit both on the way up and on the way down.
- Has no invulnerability at all, except on the first active frame of the B version.
- Causes hard knockdown both on the upwards and downwards hit.
- Can be used as an anti-air due to its decent hitboxes.
- Extremely punishable on whiff or block.
Big Destroyer Toss:
- Chang grabs the opponent and slams them side to side several times.
- A 1 frame command grab that can be used on its own and in combos.
- Causes a backturned hard knockdown, does not switch sides.
Wild Ball Attack:
- Chang runs forwards and delivers a series of hits with a random finisher.
- This move is excellent for punishing as it does a lot of damage. Can not be combo-ed into.
- It has invulnerability on startup.
- It is safe on block but very punishable on whiff.
- The random finishers are: a Hienzan that causes a hard knockdown, a belly flop that causes a soft knockdown, a rolling attack that causes a soft knockdown, and a slide that causes a soft knockdown.
Iron Sphere Smasher:
- Chang does a belly flop that hits both on the way up and down.
- This move is Chang's only invulnerable reversal, and also functions really well as an anti-air.
- Hits twice in most cases, though the second hit can whiff if you hit them really high in the air.
- Can be combo-ed into.
- Causes soft knockdown.
- Conversion from a low.
(j.B/D), cl.A/cr.A/st.B, hcb,f+P
- This is your main combo route with Chang, only works at close range. Can be combo-ed off a jump-in.
(j.B/D), cl.A/cr.A/st.B, mash A
- Combo into mash A instead of hcb,f+P when hcb,f+P won't reach. Can be combo-ed off a jump-in.
(j.B/D), cl.A/cr.A/st.B, df+A
- Combo into df+A when mash A won't reach. Can be combo-ed off a jump-in.
(j.B/D), st.B, qcfx2+B
- Your main metered combo. Can be combo-ed off of a jump-in.