The King of Fighters '98 UMFE/EX Robert
Ex Robert is a well rounded character with some good space control tools. For long distance he has a high flying fireball and for the mid range he has a nice assortment of buttons to control space and keep the opponent out. Up close he has access to nice confirms, a good overhead and some good corner pressure. to round out his kit he has a good dp for anti airs and reversals and a kicking move that will vacuum the opponent in and can catch jumps or pokes. his main weakness is that he lacks really scary mixups.
- cl. A: Good for stopping hops. Whiffs on low crouchers. Chainable. Not cancelable.
- cl. B: A standing low move. It's good for some mixups when combined with his f+A and prox unblockable. Not chainable. Cancelable.
- cl. C: a fairly standard cl.C. Comes out fast so good for combos and meaties. Cancelable.
- cl. D: Has two hits one that goes upwards and then one downwards. Safe on block so can be used to push people out. Not cancelable.
- st. A: same as cl.A
- st. B: a decent poke but not useful for much else. Not cancelable.
- st. C: a fast poke with good range . Excellent for stopping hops. Whiffs on low crouchers. Not cancelable.
- st. D: a fairly slow far ranged poke with nice priority. whiffs on tiny crouchers. Not cancelable.
- cr. A: Has short range for a cr.A. Outclassed by cr.B in nearly all aspects with the exception that cr.A will cancel into command normals. Chainable. Cancelable.
- cr. B: Your main low poke and combo tool. Chainable. Cancelable.
- cr. C: Has two hits, the first hits in front of him and the second above him. The first part can be a good ground poke and the second an anti air. Cancelable.
- cr. D: average speed for a sweep with good range. Cancelable on whiff and contact.
- j. A: Fast normal with good reach, nice priority and a lot of active frames. Can work both for air to airs and as a jumpin. Not cancelable.
- j. B: Roberts only crossup so good to use for that. Can also work as a regular jumpin but j.D is a better tool for that. Cancelable.
- j. C: Similar to j.A but trades some priority for the added hitstun of a jumping heavy.
- j. D: Roberts main jumpin normal as it has a nice hitbox around his foot. Cancelable.
- st. CD: long ranged poke. good to use as a whiff cancelling tool.
- j. CD: excellent air to air with a lot of horizontal reach. Hard to hit on grounded opponents as it will completely whiff on low crouchers.
Kick of the Dragon: b/f + C
- regular throw, techable. Robert flips backwards sending the opponent flying back 80% of the screen causing a soft knockdown.
Decapitating Drop: b/f + D
- Regular throw, techable. Robert grabs the opponent and slams them behind him sending them 90% of the screen away. Causes a backturned hard knockdown.
Soaring Dragon Kick: f + B
- good to use in combos and the occasional blockstring.
- very punishable on block if not cancelled.
Dragon-felling Kick: f + A
- an overhead move, but loses its property when cancelled from a normal move.
- safe on block when done raw.
- useful for combos and pressure in the corner.
- good to late cancel into as a mixup.
- also good as a midscreen poke.
Lightning Legs Knockout Kick: hcb + B/D
- Robert does a leaping kick. B version starts up slower and does one hit. D version does two hits.
- B version is safe on block when properly spaced.
- D version is unsafe on block.
- B version causes a juggleable state on hit.
- D version will combo from lights.
Dragon Blast Punch: qcf + A/C
- This is a fully moving projectile unlike his OG98 version thats just a close range blast.
- travels high in the air so it can be low profiled.
- Whiffs on low crouchers.
- good to use for zoning and to end blockstrings with.
Ryuga: dp + A/C
- Roberts dp move. A version only has 1 frame of invincibility and C version has invincibility during all of the startup and first active frame.
- A version comes out fast and travels pretty high upwards so it functions as a good anti air.
- C version does two hits and functions as your reversal and an anti air as well since it travels even higher than the A version.
- C version is a nice combo tool from lights.
Flying Dragon Kick (In Air Only): qcb + B/D
- an aerial dive kick. B version comes out at a steeper angle while D version comes out at a shallower one.
- good tool for changing up your jumping arc and momentum to throw peoples anti air attempts off.
- good combo and pressure tool in the corner when cancelled out of f+A as Robert is + on block after it in this situation.
- generally safe on block unless it hit very high up on a standing opponent.
Great Spirit Kick: f, b, f + B/D
- a multihitting kick in place. On hit both versions are the same but on block and whiff D version stays out longer.
- causes a juggleable state after the last kick.
- unsafe on block or whiff.
- Good to combo into from heavy buttons.
- the kicks he delivers have good priority so it can be hard to beat out from the front.
Haoh Shokou Ken: f,hcf + A/C
- a giant fireball. A version travels slower than C version.
- Can be used as anti air or anti fireball move
- C version can be used in combos.
Ryuko Ranbu: qcf,hcb + B/D
- a classic Ranbu attack.
- Best used in combos as it does good damage.
- has no invincibility which limits its usefulness in neutral and as an anti air since it's prone to trading.
- on block some of the hits will whiff on short crouchers making it deal less blockstun.
Muei Senpuu Juudan Kyaku: qcf,qcf + B/D (can also be done in the air)
- another combo super that does a series of kicks that ends in a backflip kick.
- mostly useful as a super combo from lights as his Ranbu is too slow to combo from them.
- this super can also be done in the air and can be useful as a surprise attack occasionally.
- cr.Bx1-3 dp+C/hcb+D
- Simple low confirm combo
- (j.X) cl.C fbf+K dp+C
- Combo into his fbf+K move.
- (J.X) cl.C f+B hcb+B dp+C
- Heavy starter combo to use close to the corner
- (j.X) cl.C fbf+K ABC fbf+K dp+C
- A quickmax combo that works close to the corner