The King of Fighters '98 UMFE/Goro Daimon
Daimon is a grappler with plenty of scary mixups up close and some good normals to fight with in neutral. His pokes are large with some good hitboxes on them and his anti airing is also strong. He's also got a fast full screen unblockable that hits standing opponents that he can use to deal with fireballs. Up close Daimon has access to a 1f command grab, a invul command grab, an overhead, a low and some strong pokes to pressure with. Daimon also has access to a command roll that lets him quickly get in for a mixup at shorter ranges. Daimons main weaknesses are his big size and his lack of an invul reversal.
Changes from previous versions
98 to 98UM Normals:
- f+A now hits overhead, but its damage was lowered from 25 to 18 points
- GCCD got increased recovery
- st.B got reduced priority, the hurtbox is now in front of the hitbox
- st.C got reduced priority
- st.D got reduced priority
- j.C got reduced priority
- df+Cs first hitbox got reduced priority
- dp+As startup was reduced from 28 frames to 20 frames
- dp+A OTG bug was removed
- hcb,f+K comes out faster and has a shorter back turning motion
98UM to 98UMFE
- df+Cs first hit now has its 98 hitbox back.
- HCB,f+Ks Throw hitbox comes out faster
- HCFx2+ K Super flash activates after the counter move connects, more recovery on whiff, Damage adjusted so that the third hit does the most damage
Format for Normals section. Be sure to add bullet points for multiple moves having a property (e.g. j. B/D cross-up; st/cr. A/B/C/D are whiff/cancelable). REMOVE AFTER WRITING IN
- cl. A: good for stopping hops if you were too close for st.A. whiffs on short crouchers. Cancelable. Chainable.
- cl. B: decent for stopping hops or jumpouts but it's slow so not very useful. whiffs on short crouchers. Cancelable.
- cl. C: One of his main heavy combo buttons. It comes out fast and can be inputted as hcb+C to buffer a combo into his command grabs. Cancelable.
- cl. D: Another one of his good heavy combo buttons. hits higher up than cl.C so can catch jumpouts too. Cancelable.
- st. A: Good anti hop button. whiffs on short crouchers.
- st. B: Decent longer range low that can be used to set up his command roll mixups. Cancelable.
- st. C: long range poke. Occupies a lot of space in front of Daimon. Has a lot of active frames. whiffs on short crouchers.
- st. D: Good preemptive anti air but has very little priority so can trade easily. whiffs on short crouchers.
- cr. A: decent for blockstrings or to chain into from cl.A. Cancelable.
- cr. B: a low. Not chainable or cancelable but you can link a 1f command grab after it for a combo.
- cr. C: a slow button that's not cancelable making it pretty bad and not very useful.
- cr. D: a good sweep. Cancelable.
- j. A: a good jumpin normal with a lot of active frames making it a very consistent option. It's also his fastest air normal so good for air to airs when you need to prioritize speed.
- j. B: has a crazy amount of active frames making it a good air to air and jumpin. Can crossup.
- j. C: an okay crossup button.
- j. D: his best jumpin for damage.
- st. CD: slow startup but has a nice hitbox in front of Daimon. Cancelable on contact or whiff.
- j. CD: his best air to air normal when it comes to hitbox but it has pretty slow startup.
Drag-Down Slam: (very close) f/b + C
- hold throw, not techable. Can be mashed for more damage. Daimon grabs the opponent in a chokehold and chokes them a couple of times. Causes a hard knockdown.
Crucifixion Press: (close) f/b + C
- regular throw, techable. Daimon picks the opponent up and slams them to the ground causing the to slide on the ground. Causes hard knockdown.
Sliding Foot Takedown: (close) f/b + D
- regular throw, techable. Daimon picks up the opponent and then sweeps their leg away while throwing them behind him. Causes soft knockdown.
Ball Basher: f + A
- a overhead with fairly long range.
- loses the overhead property when cancelled into.
- good for mixups, especially when late cancelling into it.
- causes a hard knockdown on hit.
Cranium Cruncher: df + C
- a good anti air normal with a nice hitbox diagonally above Daimon.
- can also work as a close range poke.
- can be cancelled into for combos and blockstrings.
- on counterhit you can juggle after it.
Minelayer: dp + P (A pounds the ground, C version is a feint)
- Daimon pounds the ground so hard that it sends a shockwave through the ground causing standing opponents to fall down.
- A version does the ground pound which is a full screen attack that hits standing opponents. As it is not really a physical attack it does not do any blockstun to crouching opponents.
- C version is a feint you can use to make people jump at you so that you can anti air them.
- Great to use against fireball users as they can't crouch while throwing a fireball and the pound recovers fast enough for Daimon to block the fireball if it still came out.
- can also be used as a surprise full screen low attack if the opponent likes poking a lot.
Super Ukemi: qcb + B/D
- Daimon does a roll forwards.
- B version only has a little bit of startup invul. D version is slower but has more invul.
it's not like a normal roll. It's purpose is to get in quick to land a command grab/anti air grab from a blocked normal.
- Gets beaten out by mashing so you may need to condition the opponent to not mash beforehand with frametraps.
Cloud Tosser: hcf + A
- Daimon reaches up into the air and grabs, if he hits the opponent he slams them down to the ground.
- a hit grab.
- a dedicated anti jump tool to use when the opponent starts to jump out of your command grabs.
- can also work decently as an anti air as it has a big hitbox with loads of priority. Daimons hurtbox is actually at his waist when he does it so his whole upper body is invincible.
- Great for combos after a counterhit df+C and other juggle situations.
- has a long recovery so it's a guaranteed punish on block or whiff.
Stump Throw: hcf + C
- Daimon grabs the opponent low to the ground and slams them down on the other side.
- a hit grab.
- has low invul from the startup until the end of the active frames.
- has a long recovery so it's a guaranteed punish on block or whiff.
- Useful as an otg
Super Ohsotogari: (close) dp + B/D
- Daimon does a leg sweep on the opponent.
- an invul command grab.
- good to beat people trying to mash at close range.
- a core part of his close range mixup game as it will beat people trying to mash out from his 1f command grab.
Earth Mover: (close) hcb, f + A/C
- Daimon throws the opponent into the air and lets them fall to the ground.
- a 1 frame command grab.
- Good for mixups, combos and close range punishes.
Root Countermaneuver: qcf + B/D
- a high and mid counter move.
- becomes active at frame 2 so you can't reversal with it.
- can work as an anti air or as an anti poke tool.
Reverse Drop: hcb, f + B/D
- Daimon runs forwards and tries to grab the opponent. When in range he grabs the opponent and slams them behind him leaving them in a hard knockdown.
- Both B and D versions has Daimon running a full screens length when attempting the grab.
- B versions grab comes out slower but it has a lot of low invul while running. D versions grab comes out sooner but has no low invul while running.
- If the opponent is not throwable Daimon turns around for a bit leaving him open for backturned combos.
- can be useful to tick throw into from some stuff like a st.B but is mostly too risky to use much.
Heaven-to-Hell Drop: (close) hcb hcb + A/C
- Daimons picks the opponent up and repeatedly slams them into the ground.
- a 1 frame command grab super.
- useful for when you want higher damage mixups, combos and close range punishes.
- Max versions does more damage.
Super Stump Throw: hcf hcf + B/D, hcf + B/D, dp + B/D, (during MAX) dp + B/D
- a sequential throw super.
- the first part of the sequence is a counter move and if it hits you can do the followups.
- Max version does more damage.
- cr.B, hcb,f+P
- cl.B, dp+K
- (jump-in), cl.C, hcb,f+P
- (jump-in), cl.C, df+C, hcb,f+P
- df+C, hcf+A
- df+C (CH), qcb+B, df+C, hcf+A
- -Note: this can only be done on counterhit
- f+A, hcf+C
- cl.B, hcbx2+P
- (jump-in), cl.C, hcbx2+P
- -Note: you can do this as (jump-in), hcb+C, hcb+P for an easier cancel
3 Stock/2 Stock Max/Low Health 1 Stock Extra Mode
- In any 1 stock combo, replace hcbx2+P with hcbx2+AC