The King of Fighters '98 UMFE/Mature
Mature is an interesting mix between a zoner and a close range pressure character. Her main attraction is Ebony Tears, her big projectile. It's slow to come out but it recovers fast and travels slow so Mature can either choose to go in behind it to set up offense or wait for the opponents response to it if she wants to be defensive. She has a lot of moves that moves her forward so she can be close to the opponent. Her best tools up close are her good low hitconfirms and her j.B which can be hard to block as it hits twice in the air. She's also got some good specials for dealing chip damage and ending her blockstrings safely. Her weaknesses include a lack of strong mixups outside of j.B and a lack of a meterless invul reversal.
Changes from previous versions
98 to 98UM Normals:
- cl.C more damage
- cl.D more damage
- far D 5 frames less startup
- qcb+K now knocks down. the initial dash for the B version has 2 frames more startup, 3 less active frames and 2 frames more recovery.
- the D version has 3 less active frames and 5 frames less recovery. The recovery on block is the same for both versions
- qcf+A has 2 less startup frames, 3 more active frames and 11 less recovery frames
- qcf+C 3 more active frames and 6 less recovery frames
- Hurtbox became taller at the end of the move so it's easier to hit it with an aerial attack
- hcf+K has less recovery
- hcf+B now lifts the opponent up in place allowing for juggles
- dp+P now knocks down
- weak version knocks down at the second part of the move, Strong needs all the parts to knock down
- qcb,hcf+BD has increased invinciblility and it now looks like kof 96s
98UM to 98UMFE
- QCB+D - slower startup but less recovery
- dp+P - more damage
- cl. A: good range and speed making it an excellent checking button. whiffs on regular crouchers. Cancelable. Chainable.
- cl. B: low hitting kicks in two parts. Great for hitconfirming and empty jump mixups. Cancelable. not chainable.
- cl. C: fast attack that is good for combos. Cancelable.
- cl. D: slow two hit kick, first hit hits low to the ground and the second one higher up. Cancelable.
- st. A: same as cl.A
- st. B: same as cl.B
- st. C: decent poking normal at the mid distance. whiffs on tiny crouchers.
- st. D: slow but very long ranged kick. it has a lot of recovery so it will need to be spaced out to not get punished for.
- cr. A: similar to her cl.A but hits lower. One of her main pokes and light chain button. Cancelable. Chainable.
- cr. B: low hitting kick. one of her main low combo starters and close range pressure buttons. Not cancelable. Chainable.
- cr. C: fast and high hitting. it has two stages, the first one has a nice anti airing hitbox but the second one will get beat out easily. Cancelable.
- cr. D: a sweep with good range. hits low. Cancelable on whiff and contact.
- j. A: Matures most reliable jumpin normal.
- j. B: Matures other jumpin normal. hits two times and is good for mixups but is less consistent than j.A.
- j. C: Matures best air to air. hits straight in front of Mature with great priority.
- j. D: Matures other air to air normal. Hits higher up than j.C but is slower and has less priority.
- st. CD: slow startup but it has good range. Cancelable on whiff and on contact.
- j. CD: great jumpin button for pressure but it has a lot of startup.
Death Blow: (close) b/f + C
- regular throw, techable. Mature grabs the opponent and slashes them while throwing them almost fullscreen away. causes soft knockdown
Back Rush: (close) b/f + D
- regular throw, techable. Mature throws the opponent right behind her, causes a backturned hard knockdown.
Crematory: f + B
- long range poke with great priority.
- not cancelable so its only real use is as a poke.
Death Downer: qcb + A/C (can be entered 3 times in a row)
- a rekka move with 3 parts.
- the C version is one of her main combo tools as it has a lot of reach and can be used after her long light strings.
- the light version is safer and doing 2 light rekkas after a blockstring is safe, but doing two heavy rekkas after a blockstring is not. Doing 3 rekkas is safer because of the pushback but the third light rekka can whiff if the distance is great enough. 3 heavy rekkas after a blockstring is fairly safe due to the pushback.
- this move is very susceptible to guard cancel rolls.
- you can stagger the rekkas for some frame traps.
- causes soft knockdown.
Metal Massacre: qcb + B/D
- a forward travelling attack where Mature does 3 slashes as she reaches the end point of her forwards dash.
- the light version combos from heavies.
- the heavy version is very safe on block which makes it a good approaching and pressure tool.
- the light version is faster but is punishable on block so use that one mainly for catching rolls with in combination with Ebony Tears.
Despair: qcf + A/C
- a forwards lunging strike with a lot of startup.
- A version is faster and travels at a lower arc than C version.
- has a very nice hitbox with great priority once out making it good for preemptively beating out stuff.
- A version is very safe on block making it a good option for ending blockstrings. C version is punishable on block if done too close to the opponent.
Deceaser: hcf + B/D
- Mature does a long ranged pull with her sleeve.
- A version throws the opponent straight up in the air allowing for juggles. D version throws them far behind Mature.
- though it has a lot of startup it's a decent long range poking tool as the pushback it has makes it quite safe.
- on hit you can go into her qcf,hcb+P super or a normal for a reset if you're close enough.
- cannot be comboed into normally but can be with quick max.
- causes hard knockdown if you don't juggle anything after it.
Sacrilege: dp + A/C
- a multihitting move where Mature goes flying forward while twirling.
- has no invincibility frames so can not be used as a reversal.
- Both A and C versions are unsafe on block, though A version is harder to punish.
- neither version has very good anti aring hitboxes, but fairly good hitboxes in front of Mature.
- C version is a good combo ender due to its large corner carry.
Ebony Tears: qcf, hcb + A/C
- one of Matures signature moves, a very large and slow moving projectile that takes up space from the ground up to hopping distance.
- one of the key moves in Matures gameplan as it allows her to zone out characters without a fireball to fight back with, run in behind it to start offence or doing it closer up as a pressure tool.
- it has a lot of startup but recovers very quickly allowing her to follow up after it quickly.
- Mature can throw this out at a distance and react to the opponents attempt to deal with it and punish them for it.
- causes soft knockdown on hit.
Nocturnal Lights: qcf, qcf + A/C
- Mature does a series of slashes.
- Great for comboing into from both lights and heavies but not used for much else.
- Max version does more hits and more damage.
- causes soft knockdown on hit.
Heaven's Gates: qcb, hcf + B/D
- Mature runs forwards, grabs the opponent and slams them into the wall.
- this move is a hit grab so the opponent can block it.
- this move has a lot of invincibility frames so it can be used as a reversal.
- can also be used as an anti air because of the invincibility.
- the max version does more damage.
- causes hard knockdown.
- cr.B cr.Ax1-3 qcb+Px3
- one of her main low starter bnbs that gives you a lot of hits to hitconfirm from.
- cr.B st.B qcb+Px3
- another low starter bnb that is easier due to st.Bs two hits but not as damaging.
- cr.B cr.Ax1-3 qcfx2+P
- metered ender for her main low bnb.
- cr.B st.B qcfx2+P
- metered ender for her other low bnb.
- (j.X) cl.C qcb+P/dp+C
- meterless bnb from a heavy button or jumpin.
- (j.X) cl.C qcfx2+P
- metered ender for her heavy combo.
- j.X cl.C hcf+ABC qcb,hcf+K
- extra meter quick max combo into her hcf+B into super.