The King of Fighters '98 UMFE/Orochi Chris
Orochi Chris is a rushdown monster boasting the fastest movement speed in the game alongside some great buttons he can use to fight in the neutral game with. This allows him to get plenty of chances to get in close where he truly shines. His great movement speed alone makes him hard to deal with when he's in your face but in addition to that he has an amazing crossup, good confirms from highs and lows and a proximity unblockable. On the defence he has access to a fast normal to challenge with, an invul dp and the startup invul proximity unblockable that can help him deal with pressure.
Changes to previous versions
98 to 98UM
- cl.C has 3 frames less recovery
- df+B has a bigger hurtbox on chris's torso
- projectiles lower that are psycho ball height and lower can't be passed under with it
- increased damage on j.D
- removed j.CDs first hitbox
- dp+A has increased invincibility making it a real reversal option
- qcb,hcf+AC is faster and is the same speed at the regular version. you can now combo into it
98UM to 98UMFE
- qcb+P less recovery
- qcfx2+P faster startup
- cl. A: same as st.A
- cl. B: Cancelable. Not Chainable.
- cl. C: A nice fast close heavy. The second hit hits quite high up so it can catch people trying to jump out of close range. One of his main combo tools. Very unsafe if not cancelled. Cancelable.
- cl. D: A high hitting kick. Special but not command normal cancelable.
- st. A: an anti hop tool due to it's speed and priority. whiffs on short crouchers. Cancelable. Chainable.
- st. B: a great midrange poke since it has good speed, range, can stop hops and will hit crouchers. Not cancelable. Not Chainable.
- st. C: a slow but long range two hitting punch. The first hit can be useful as it hits crouchers and can be combod from. Very unsafe on block and whiff. Cancelable on first hit.
- st. D: an anti air kick.
- cr. A: a standard cr.A. A staple combo tool for Chris. Cancelable. Chainable.
- cr. B: The main low combo starter. Has good range for a cr.B making it good for blockstrings and mixups. Not cancelable. Chainable.
- cr. C: an uppercut with two parts. Very fast startup making it great for point blank punishes. It has great priority on the first hit making it an excellent close range poke as well. The second hit has a good hitbox for anti airs. Cancelable on first hit.
- cr. D: A sweep with good range but quite a lot of recovery. Hits slightly upwards so can catch some moves that other sweeps might whiff. Can be used to low profile some projectiles.
- j. A: Chris's best air to air normal as it hits fairly high up with good active frames and loads of priority.
- j. B: Chris's longest reaching air normal with good active frames. It can be used for jumpins or as a jump back air to air because of it's long reach.
- neutral j.B: an air to air move that hits at a higher spot than any of his other jumping normals.
- j. C: an okay jumpin or air to air normal. It has a lot of priority and hits a bit lower than j.A but it deals more damage.
- j. D: Chris's best jumpin normal. It has a low amount of active frames but has a great hitbox jumpins and crossups.
- st. CD: Long startup but it has low invul from frame 1.
- j. CD: Good downwards hitbox at his feet making it a solid jump in for pressure. Quite long startup so it's susceptible to air to airs.
Chi no Batu: (close) b/f + C
- regular throw, techable. Chris steps on the opponents body and then sends them flying away with a backflip. Causes soft knockdown.
Ten no Tsumi: (close) b/f + D
- regular throw, techable. Chris throws the opponent behind him making them land with a backturned hard knockdown.
Muyoo no Ono: f + A
- Chris slams the opponent with a two handed swing.
- It's cancellable both when done raw and when comboed into.
- combos from both lights and heavies making it part of Chris's primary combos.
- unsafe on block so try to confirm into it.
Jyukei no Oni: f + B
- Chris does an overhead flip kicks with two parts.
- when done raw the first part hits mid and the second part hits overhead but the move is not cancelable.
- when cancelled into the move loses it's overhead property but the second hit becomes cancelable.
- useful as a poke as a poke and overhead as it's quite safe due to the pushback combined with Chris's stepping back animation after the kick.
- can also be used as a safer combo option compared to f+A, though the tradeoff is that it leads to less damage.
Setsudan no Koto: df + B
- Chris slides on the ground with a kick.
- hits low
- can low profile high flying projectiles like Takumas or Ex Roberts.
- can be a bit unsafe at point blank but becomes safer the further out from the opponent you hit.
Tsuki o Tumu Honoo: dp + A/C
- Orochi Chris produces flames and does an uppercut move.
- The A version is an invul reversal and has good hitboxes for anti airing. It does start up a bit slow at 7f though.
- The C version loses the invul but Chris does multiple hits and stays grounded for a lot longer making it good to use for combos.
- both versions are very unsafe on block.
Taiyou o Iru Honoo: qcf + A/C
- Orochi Chris produces a big wave of flame in front of him. The A version comes out faster but travels less distance.
- starts up very slow but stays active for quite a while and has pretty good recovery.
- if the flames hit when O.Chris is close enough to the opponent he has time to combo after them.
- This makes it an alright choice for a meaty as you'll have even more time to combo if the flames hit.
- due to the moves long startup it can be risky to throw out a lot in neutral as the opponent could superjump over the flames and punish you.
- it can be a good move to neutralize opponents projectiles with or to throw out as a projectile against characters with weaker movement options.
Kagami o Hofuru Honoo: qcb + A/C
- Orochi Chris does a small jump forwards and hits with a flame attack. The A versions travels a shorter distance but has less recovery compared to the C version.
- The A version is quite safe on block making it an okay poke from a bit further out.
- The C version is more unsafe but it travels further so it can be useful for some long range punishes.
- In combos this move only combos on standing opponents as it takes more time for the flames to reach a crouching opponent.
Shishi o Kamu Honoo: (close) hcf + B/D
- Orochi Chris does a series of close range punches and ends it with a kick that sends them up into the air.
- One of Orochi Chris's best moves as it's a startup invul proximity unblockable.
- This makes it a very strong mixup tool as it can beat both poking and blocking.
- the actual hits aren't invul so it can still trade with pokes after it's been activated.
- Due to the complete startup invul you can also use this as a defensive tool during the opponents blockstrings.
- it is not a grab so it can be rolled through with good timing for a full punish.
Ankoku Orochinagi: qcb, hcf + A/C (push down to hold)
- Orochi Chris creates a big wave of flames in front of him. A version starts up faster than the C version.
- His best combo super as it does slightly more damage than his other one.
- A version can be used as a decent mid range punishing move
Daichi o Harau Gouka: qcf, qcf + A/C
- Chris engulfs himself in a big ball of flame and dashes forwards. A versions comes out faster than the C version.
- Destroys projectiles so can be used as an anti zoning super on a big read.
- Very unsafe on block.
- The Max version does more damage than his other supers Max version so when you want the most damage this is the one to go for.
- cr.B cr.A f+A dp+C/hcf+K dp+A
- Orochi Chris's main meterless low combo. you can cancel the last hit of the hcf+K into the dp+A
- (j.X) cl.C f+A dp+C/hcf+K dp+A
- Orochi Chris's main meterless jumpin and heavy combo. you can cancel the last hit of the hcf+K into the dp+A
- cl.C f+B qcb+C
- combo on standing opponents.
- cr.B cr.A f+A qcb,hcf+A/qcfx2+A
- Orochi Chris's main metered low combo. When doing the regular super the qcb,hcf+A does more damage but if you're going for a MAX combo then qcfx2+AC does more damage.
- (j.X) cl.C f+A qcb,hcf+A/qcfx2+A
- Orochi Chris's main metered jumpin and heavy combo.
Strategy & Tips
Chris ducks down when running which means that you can low profile some high flying projectiles like Takumas or Ex Roberts by running under them.
http://youtu.be/Z7fuvvHpOhE?t=7m29s (vs. Kim/Eiji)
QQ拳皇98UMFE - 2015兩岸大師賽 - 中國老黑 V.S 台灣包子 (vs. EX King, EX Blue Mary) http://youtu.be/pTSAM49WX14?t=1m59s