The King of Fighters '98 UMFE/Terry Bogard
Terry is a mid to close range pressure character. At close range he has access to really nice hitconfirms and blockstrings that allows him to play a fairly safe offensive game. A part of this is thanks to his specials that allows him to end strings pretty safely and still be in a good position to poke. In neutral he has some decent pokes to keep the opponent in check and then he has specials moves he can use to move forward to get into his preferred range. On defense he has access to a meterless invul reversal. His weaknesses are a lack of strong mixups as he does not have an overhead or a command grab.
Changes from previous versions
98 to 98UM
- Shorter activation range of cl.D
- st.Ds priority reduced
- full jump j.D has less downwards priority, this means that you can no longer use it to instant overhead on regular height crouchers. Hop D still works for instant overheads though.
- hcf+Bs damage got reduced from 9 to 4
- dp+Ks second hit got an increased hitbox size, so it air to airs better
- dp+Bs second hits damage got reduced from 14 to 11
- dp+Ks second hit damage got reduced from 15 to 13
- Third hit of qcfx2+AC got its hitbox increased behind it
- now all hits of qcfx2+AC now connects even at the edge of the screen, it will drop if used all the way in the corner though.
98 to 98UMFE
- st.B increased damage from 5 to 6 points
- dp+C has 3f extra invincibility
- qcb+Ds recovery reduced by 3 frames
- qcb+Ds hitbox extended downwards, it can now hit short crouchers
- hcf+Bs damage increased from 4 to 8
- hcf+Ds damage got increased from 9 to 12
- dp+Ds first hit now launches the opponent higher in the air, On a trade it knocks the opponent up into a juggle state.
- MAX qcfx2+BD got added startup invincibility.
- cl. A: a standard cl.A. Whiffs on short crouchers. Chainable. Cancelable.
- cl. B: will hit all crouchers. Not chainable. Cancelable.
- cl. C: two hitting cl.C. Good to use in combos as both hits are cancelable making it easy to confirm from. Cancelable.
- cl. D: larger activation range than cl.C but only does 1 hit. Has a lot of active frames so good as a meaty. Cancelable.
- st. A: standard jab. Good for stopping hops. Whiffs on regular crouchers. Chainable. Cancelable.
- st. B: good far reaching mid range poke. Not chainable. Not cancelable.
- st. C: Whiffs on low crouchers. Comes out ata nice height for stopping hops. Not cancelable.
- st. D: slow startup and recovery. Long range. Not cancelable.
- cr. A: standard crouching jab. Chainable. Cancelable.
- cr. B: Terry's main low confirm option. Chainable. Not cancelable.
- cr. C: fairly fast, nice range and comboable. Cancelable on whiff and contact.
- cr. D: a long range sweep with fairly long startup. decent for midrange poking when cancelled. Cancelable on whiff and contact.
- j. A: nice priority for air to airs. Can also be used as a jumpin.
- j. B: mostly good as an air to air. whiffs on regular crouchers.
- j. C: decent jumpin. Can crossup.
- j. D: his most used jumpin and a great multi purpose tool. its good as an air to air and as a jumpin. It can also crossup and instant overhead(only with hop D) on regular height crouchers.
- st.CD: slow to start-up CD that has decent range, moves Terry forward slightly, and can avoid low attacks starting from frame 6. Can be cancelled on whiff, block, and hit
- j.CD: an attack with somewhat slow start-up that is angled downward and out, and has a good horizontal hitbox. Great for air-to-ground pressure and may also be used as a pre-emptive air-to-air.
Grasping Upper: b/f + C (close)
- Terry grabs the opponent then does a left hook punching them in the face.
- Can be broken, regular knockdown.
Buster Throw: b/f + D (close)
- Terry grabs the opponent then flips them over his shoulder and onto the ground, because it causes a reverse knockdown it can be used to set-up a meaty jump-in afterward whether it's middle screen or to the corner.
- Can be broken, reverse knockdown.
Back Knuckle: f + A
- Terry swings his arm forward hitting the opponent twice.
- A good command normal for Terry but it only gets most of it's use when you want to combo into one of his DM's, most of his special attacks aren't fast enough unless you bypassing using the strong normal to combo into it.
- Free Cancel-able (2nd hit only)
- Combos into: Power Charge~Rising Tackle
Rising Upper: df + C
- Terry does a quick left hook hitting the opponent in the face.
- Another useful command,comes out very quick so you have to be fast if you want to cancel, light Burn Knuckle in most cases is the best option as it's fast and relatively safe.
- Special-cancelable if canceled into.
- Combos into: light Burn Knuckle/Power Wave/Crack Shoot etc.
Power Wave: qcf+A/C
- Terry punches the ground sending an energy wave across the screen.
- Power Wave is great for ground and (in some instances) air control, the wave goes a good distance in terms of vertical range so it can be a reliable anti-air on opponents that like to jump-in but the timing is crucial.
- If you use either version at a distance to hit your opponent they'll get stunned instead of knocked down.
- Builds good meter, even more so when it hits.
- Projectile Counter/AA Attack
Burning Knuckle: qcb+A/C
- Terry does a quick pose then charge punches towards the opponent, Terry's most basic combo finisher when he doesn't have any meter to spend.
- The most noticeable differences is that the weak version goes about 40% of the screen while the strong variant goes full, neither are safe on block unless spaced to a T, can be used as a make-shift anti-air or to defeat moves with a slow start-up/no priority.
- Strong Battery Attack
Crack Shoot: qcb+B/D
- Terry does a one leg flip with his right leg swinging down to hit the opponent on the head. Despite the look of this attack it is not an overhead and your opponent can guard it if they crouch.
- It can still be used as a combo finisher just like power wave but the difference here it doesn't knockdown and only the weak version is practical because of it's fast start-up.
- It has surprisingly good vertical range so it can beat out an aerial opponent if they attempt a jump.X.
- creates a half juggle state on hit, meaning that you can juggle them when they're going upwards but not when they've started falling down in the air
- qcb+D gives you frame advantage on block making it an excellent blocksring and frametrapping move.
Rising Tackle: dp+A/C
- Terry does a flurry of rising kicks launching his opponent into the air, Terry's one and only dp.
- This move is strong and has great priority, has a few good combo options but can also be used to anti-air opponents on a whim. If you catch them in the corner combo into Power Charge then add the Rising Tackle for extra damage.
- C version is invul at the start of the active frames and can b used as a reversal.
Power Dunk: dp + B/D
- Terry does a leaping punch that knocks the opponent up into the air and then back down again.
- full startup invul but none on the active frames meaning that it can trade if used as a reversal.
- D version can be used as an anti air as you get a hard knockdown if it lands but dp+C is a much safer alternative for a bit less reward.
- in a trade situation the D version will juggle them upwards allowing for a followup attack.
- Good combo ender after a Power Charge as it gives you plenty of time to set up whatever offense you want.
Power Charge: hcf + B/D
- Terry slides forward with a shoulder tackle knocking the opponent into the air.
- B version is safer overall to use but D version does a bit more damage.
- Terry's main combo confirming tool as it gives you a juggle chance on hit.
- It's also fairly safe on block making it an excellent blockstring ender for Terry.
Power Geyser: qcb,db,f + A/C
- Terry slams the ground creating a big burst of energy in front of him.
- Good combo ender for terry as it combos from most of his routes.
- Has some invul but is pretty slow to be used as a reversal or anti air except on a read.
- the MAX version creates three big pillars of energy each one further away from terry.
High Angle Geyser: qcf X 2 + B/D
- Does a bit more damage than the Power Geyser but is way harder to combo into so it's not a super worth using much.
- qcfx2+D has full startup invul but can trade once the hitbox comes out.
- MAX version does more damage and travels further than the regular super making it easier to combo into.
- cr.B, cr.A, df+C, qcb+A
- cr.Bx1~2, cr.A, df+C, hcf+B, j.D
- -Note: you need to do a regular jump or superjump for hcf+B, j.D to connect
- cr.Bx1~2, cr.A, df+C, hcf+D > dp+C
- -Note: you can cancel hcf+D directly into dp+C on hit
- (jump-in), cl.C, df+C, qcb+A
- (jump-in), cl.C, df+C, hcf+B, j.D
- (jump-in), cl.C, df+C, hcf+D > dp+C
- (jump-in), cl.C, df+C, hcf+D, dp+B
- -Note: You can do this combo outside of the corner, but you need a very tight microdash after hcf+D
-Note: you can shorten the power geyser input (qcb,db,f+A) to qcb,f+A or d,b,f+A
- cr.Bx1~2, st.A, qcfx2+B
- -Note: you can do this as cr.B, qcf+A, qcf+B for an easier cancel
- cr.Bx1~2, cr.A, df+C, qcb,db,f+A
- (jump-in), cl.C, qcfx2+B
- (jump-in), cl.C, df+C, qcb,db,f+A
- cr.B, ABC, cl.C, df+C, qcb,db,f+A
- (jump-in), cl.C, df+C, hcf+B, ABC, qcb,db,f+A
3 Stock/2 Stock Max/Low Health 1 Stock Extra Mode
- In any 1 stock combo, replace qcfx2+A with qcfx2+AC or qcb,db,f+B with qcb,db,f+BD