The King of Fighters '98 UMFE/Yashiro Nanakase
Yashiro is a big buttons poking character with some excellent damage from his good confirms. Yashiro shines when he is in neutral and poking. He has access to a great st.B and cr.D that lets him control the ground really well. He has a series of rekkas with different followups for combos but they also have some poking and mixup use. Yashiro's close range offense is a bit limited but he does have access to an overhead and low confirms into super. On defence Yashiro does have a dp but it's pretty slow so it's hard to rely on. Yashiro is extra deadly when he has access to the extra mode meter as that drives his combo damage up by a lot.
Changes from previous versions
98 to 98UM
- st.C recovery reduced by 5 frames
- cl.C activation range reduced
- st.B priority reduced
- j.D active frames reduced
- j.D priority reduced
- raw f+A startup decreased by 4 frames
- f+A can now otg
- j.C has a better crossup hitbox
Specials: hcf+P damage reduced hcf+A recovery increased dp+P recovery increased hcf+C now hits overhead
Supers: qcfx2+P startup decreased and got a longer hitbox so it's easier to hit qcfx2+K is a lot faster
98UM to 98UMFE Normals:
- cl.D now hits low
- j.C now easier to cross up with
- hcf+A 2 frames less recovery
- qcf+A followup after HCF+A - 3 frames less recovery
- qcb+K greatly increased the amount it contributes to the stun meter
- cl. A: whiffs on regular height crouchers. Chainable. Cancelable.
- cl. B: not very useful as it has a short activation range. Chainable. Cancelable.
- cl. C: good as a close up anti air to catch jumps. Good combo normal. whiffs on tiny crouchers. Cancelable.
- cl. D: hits low. another good combo button. Cancelable.
- st. A: good long ranged poke for checking. Chainable. Cancelable.
- st. B: great long ranged poke. good for stopping hops and forwards movement. Not chainable. Not Cancelable.
- st. C: fairly slow and doesn't reach very far. Very good hitbox. Cancelable on whiff and contact.
- st. D: slow move with a lot of recovery. Can work as an anti air if done early enough. Not cancelable.
- cr. A: great long ranged cr.A good for comboing and blockstrings. Good to tick throw(hcf+P) with. Chainable. Cancelable.
- cr. B: long ranged and fairly fast cr.B. One of his main low combo and blockstring starters. Chainable. Not cancelable.
- cr. C: great anti air as it comes out fast and has a lot of priority. Also great as a grounded poke for the same reasons. Cancelable.
- cr. D: a fairly slow sweep with long range and great priority. Cancelable on whiff and contact.
- j. A: a great jumping normal due to it's nice priority. Can work as a jumpin or as an air to air.
- j. B: good air to air normal. hits quite high up.
- j. C: good jumpin normal. can crossup.
- j. D: great air to air normal. whiffs on crouchers.
- st. CD: moves forward. good priority. Cancelable on whiff and contact.
- j. CD: Great air to air normal when the opponent is higher up.
Liver Blow: (close) b/f + C
- Regular throw, techable. Yashiro punches the opponent in the stomach sending them full screen away with a soft knockdown.
Hatchet Throw: b/f + D
- Regular throw, techable. Yashiro picks the opponent up and slams them behind them sending them full screen away with a backturned hard knockdown.
Regret Bash: F + A
- Hits overhead
- Hard knockdown
- Hits OTG. Can combo into itself
- Can be cancelled into, when doing so it loses the overhead property but becomes cancelable.
Step Side Kick: F + B
- this move is the same whether cancelled into or done raw.
- good to use in combos as it's cancelable.
- hits mid but does more damage in a combo than f+A.
Mighty Missile Bash: hcb + A/C
- Yashiro delivers a series of punches. on hit the last hit launches the opponent into the air.
- the B version only does 2 hits and the D version does 4 hits.
- the recovery is too large to connect anything after the launch.
- both versions are very unsafe on block therefore this move is only really useful as a combo ender.
- only combos from heavies.
Dual Upper: dp + A/C
- Yashiro does a big uppercut upwards.
- slow startup but is fully startup invul and does have invul on the active frames making it a real reversal.
- also has a guard point on the first hit.
- the slow start up makes it hard to use as a reversal as it's quite easily baited and punished.
- very unsafe on block.
Sledgehammer: qcb + B/D
- Yashiro jumps up and delivers a hammer punch to the ground.
- Hits overhead.
- causes hard knockdown.
- very unsafe on block.
Jet Counter: hcf + A/C
- Yashiro does a quick forwards dashing punch.
- the A version is a small uppercut that hits mid.
- The C version is a slower overhead punch that hits overhead.
- The A version will combo from heavies but the C version won't combo from anything.
- The A version is safer on block than the C version.
Steel Jet Counter: (during Jet Counter hit) qcf + A/C
- A version has Yashiro do a straight punch.
- This leaves the opponent standing on hit.
- this followup whiffs on short crouchers.
- the C version has Yashiro doing an uppercut that launches the opponent. This hits on all crouchers.
- both of these lets Yashiro combo after them when using the extra mode meters quick max cancel. Without it he doesn't get followups from them.
- The C versions quick max combo will only connect from the qcf+C starter and not the qcf+A starter. The A versions quick max combo connects from both.
Million Bash Stream: qcb, hcf + A/C
- Yashiro delivers a series of punches.
- has invul so can be used as a reversal.
- combos from heavies but not from lights.
- mainly good to use for the invul as it is outshined by his other super for combos.
Final Impact: qcf, qcf + A/C
- Yashiro delivers a powerful punch.
- can combo from lights and heavies. This move is extra important because it's Yashiros main way of comboing from lows as all his specials are too slow for it.
- very fast startup which makes it great for punishing.
- can be held to charge it up. The more you charge it the longer it's range becomes and at full charge it becomes unblockable and does 40% damage.
- Max version works the same as the regular version but has more damaage.
-Note: cr.B, cr.A is quite a hard link, so you can also use cr.A in place of cr.B in any of the following combos, although cr.A doesn't hit low
- cr.B/cr.A, cr.Ax2, st.B
- cr.B/cr.A, cr.A, dp+A
- (jump-in), cl.D, f+A, hcf+A, qcf+C
- (jump-in), cl.D, f+A, hcb+C
- -Note: same damage as the first combo, this one grants slightly better oki but you have one less hit to hit confirm
- cr.B/cr.A, cr.A, cr.A/st.A, qcfx2+P
- (jump-in), cl.D, f+A, qcb,hcf+P (mash)
- -Note: qcb,hcf+P normally does 5 hits, but you can mash to get up to 13 hits
- (jump-in), cl.D, f+A, hcf+A > qcf+A, ABC, qcfx2+P
3 Stock/2 Stock Max/Low Health 1 Stock Extra Mode
- In any 1 stock combo, replace qcfx2+P with qcfx2+AC or qcb,hcf+P with qcb,hcf+AC
- -Note: qcb,hcf+AC normally does 7 hits, but you can mash to get up to 23 hits