The King of Fighters XIV/Kula Diamond
- 1 Movelist
- 2 Quick Combo Reference
- 3 Gameplay Overview
- 4 Normals
- 5 Throws
- 6 Command Moves
- 7 Special Moves
- 8 Super Special Moves
- 9 Climax Super Special Moves
- 10 Combos
- 11 Misc
- 12 Videos
- 13 Contributors
- 14 External Links
- 15 Discussion Threads
(*) = EX OK
(!) = MAX OK
Super Special Moves
Climax Desperation Move
Quick Combo Reference
(Combo 1) = (damage number here) dmg
(Combo 1) = (damage number here) dmg
|2 Meters||Anywhere||(Combo 1) = (damage number here) dmg|
Kula is a well-rounded character with a plethora of pokes, anti-airs, pressure moves, and damaging specials that make her appealing to use at any spot on one's team. She also handles zoning characters extremely well due to specials such as Diamond Breath and Counter Shell. In terms of offense, st.B, cr.B, st.C, and CD are all great pokes and potential combo starters. j.C and j.CD give her terrific aerials, pressure tools and a deadly cross up tool in the former. Ray Spin allows her to pressure foes, dodge projectiles, and even make blockstrings safe. Crow Bite gives her a mostly solid reversal as well as a damaging combo tool. She builds meter very well and is a nightmare to deal with once she corners an opponent.
Her only notable weaknesses are lack of a grounded overhead, forcing players to rely more on fundamentals to successfully mix up opponents and weak blockstrings that can be interrupted by fast or invincible moves. Against smart players, she will not be able to ‘autopilot’ into her blockstrings.
Other than that, she is a very solid character that new players and veterans alike will enjoy due to her ease of use and the utility she provides for teams.
- st. A: A quick ice stab. Can stop hops and be used as a poke but inferior to st. B for either purpose due to st.A’s inferior range, damage and startup. -3 on block. Special cancelable and gatlings into her other light normals.
- st. B: Kula does a kick with great horizontal range. With 5 frame startup, it makes a great poke and hop stopper. Special and super cancellable. st. B now moves Kula forward, increasing her to chance to stay grounded for the first hit of C Crow Bites (dp+C), making her Super Cancels from the special more consistent. Can cancel into B Ray Spin for a nice blockstring, though opponents can challenge with fast normals or invincible moves. Also does enough hitstun to convert to MAX MODE combos.
- st. C: Kula does a slow ice stab. Excellent horizontal poke and confirm tool. Has more range than st. B and is special cancelable, allowing an easy 2-hit confirm into B Ray Spin (qcb+B) which can often only be punished midscreen with meter.
- st. D: Kula performs an ice-shrouded high kick. Can be utilized as an anti-air though very slow. Has poor horizontal range. Completely misses crouching characters. -4 on block. Not special cancel-able, but is super cancel-able.
- cl. A: Kula does a close-ranged ice stab. One of her fastest hop stoppers at 4-frames. Chain-able into her other light normals. Even on block. Special cancel-able.
- cl. B: Kula does a quick spin kick. Has wide hitbox and can stuff hops. -2 on block. Special cancel-able but not chain-able. This normal is worse than far B in every way.
- cl. C: Cancel-able, 2-hit confirm with great 4-frame startup. Kula’s go-to punish normal. First hit forces crouchers to stand. -10 on block. Both hits are cancel-able. First hit should always be canceled into f+A (One Inch) as it does more damage that simply doing cl.C’s 2 hits.
- cl. D: Kula does a 2-hit axe kick. Like cl.C, both hits are cancel-able. cl.D is stronger than cl.C but much slower at 8 frames. Good for punishing very slow moves and during MAX MODE combos. Can also anti-air foes right above Kula. -8 on block.
- cr. A: Kula sits down and kicks upward. Has decent range and lowers her hurtbox, so it can be used as an anti-air. -4 on block. Special Cancel-able but not chain-able.
- cr. B: Kula bends down and delivers a very fast, long reaching kick. One of her best normals. Chains into itself most of her light normals, is even on block, hits low, and is special cancel-able. Good to confirm into st.B. 4-frame startup.
- cr. C: Kula freezes her hair and thrusts it upward. Makes a good anti-air but too slow to stop hops. Very punishable if whiffed. -1 on block. Not special-cancelable
- cr. D: Quick sweep with great range. Can be used as a long distance poke. Hits low and knocks down on hit. -5 on block. Special-cancelable.
- j. A: Excellent fast hop-in and air to ground. Cannot be low-profiled. Can be used as instant overhead as a dangerous gamble, but would be punished. Can also start combos if the later active frames hit.
- j. B: Good air to air. Susceptible to low profile anti-airs.
- j. C: Stronger than Jump A, but slower. Cannot be low-profiled. Moderately fast hop-in. Safer as instant overhead but easier to react to. Can be used as crossover attack.
- j. D: Long horizontal range, fairly quick. Cannot be used as crossover attack.
- st. CD: Kula crafts a ball of ice and thrusts it forward. Has huge range. Causes a wall splat on standing opponents, which can be canceled into D Ray Spin for followups.
- j. CD: A flying spin kick with slow startup but great range. Makes a good air-to-air or air-to-ground for pressure. Kula can be stuffed before the move comes out due to the slow startup.
Ice Coffin - (b/f+C) close
- Kula traps the opponent in ice before blasting them forward
- Soft knockdown
Ice Sledge - (b/f+D) close
- Kula bashes the opponent with ice while flipping over them
- Hard knockdown
- Switches side with opponent
One Inch - (f+A)
- Kula does a one inch punch that crumples the foe on hit
- Only super-cancelable on its own
- If canceled into, loses crumple property but becomes special cancel-able
Slider Shoot - (f+B)
- Kula slides on the ground via ice
- Hits low
- Can be comboed into from her light or heavy normals
- Can slide under a lot of high projectiles
- Can be MAX MODE canceled on hit to create a safe jump
Diamond Breath - (qcf + A/C)
- Kula exhales a frosty breath of ice
- A Version has fast startup. Knocks down on hit. Combos from her heavy normals and is unsafe on block at -7. This version is good for canceling out an opponent’s fireballs.
- C Version has slow startup and cannot be comboed from her normals. It is, however, +2 on block and doesn't knock opponents down unless they are airborne. This can be used to get frame advantage, but its slow startup allows opponent to use an invincible move against it on reaction in a wakeup situation. Can be used meaty to improve frame advantage.
- Both versions can be stuffed by fast normals as they do not make true blockstrings. The C Version is especially vulnerable to being interrupted.
- Super cancelable
EX: Crumples on hit, allowing for followups. Particularly good during MAX MODE combos. It will also go through an opponent’s fireball and punish if close enough to opponent. -3 on block.
Crow Bite - (dp+A/C)
- Kula does a rising uppercut coated in ice.
- A Version has 5 frame startup and only does one hit. Has the most invincibility.
- C Version has 4 frame startup, does three hits, and sends Kula flying farther. Only has 3 frames of invincibility. More damaging than the A Version.
- Both versions have lots of upper body invincibility and can be used as anti-airs if timed/spaced properly.
- Both versions can be super cancelled on the first hit, making them good in combos.
- Very punishable if whiffed or blocked. Use caution.
- Soft knockdown
EX: Starts up like the C Version and has 9 frames of invincibility, making it a great reversal. Also does more damage than the regular versions.
Ray Spin - (qcb+B/D)
- Kula does a ballerina spin that ends in an icy kick
- B Version spins a good distance forward and is low to the ground. This version is great to block string into. It is also good for mid-screen combos.
- D Version and is much higher. This whiffs on crouching opponents so you will eat a big combo for guessing wrong with it at neutral. Goes over many standing attacks and fireballs on read, but is whiff punishable if opponent is crouching. Since Close C and Close D force the opponent to stand, using this for punishes is usually ideal. This version is good for certain mid-screen combos and corner combos. Both versions will only combo from her heavy normals or a canceled f+A.
- Both versions have lower body invincibility and can be used to go over low normals and grounded projectiles and then punish if timed correctly.
- Both versions are minus on block though can be made safe if canceled into her Stand follow up (as long as opponent does not challenge the gap between the spin and the Stand follow-up).
- Stand - (f+B after Ray Spin)
- Kula shoots an ice crystal out of her leg. It counts as a regular projectile, meaning it will clash with non-EX fireballs and lose to EX ones and Supers.
- At close range, it is neutral on block and knocks down.
- At close range, B Ray Spin into Stand actually combos, so it serves as a 0-on-block two-hit confirm to super moves, (though opponent can challenge in between the two hits if B Ray Spin is blocked)
- If it hits with the later active frames, or at far range, is +5 on block and does not knock down standing opponents, so it provides pressure and is a one hit confirm to far B.
- If Stand hits an opponent high enough (such as after D Ray Spin), Kula can juggle.
- There is a slight gap between Ray Spin and Stand where invincible moves can interrupt Kula and punish.
- Sit - (f+D after Ray Spin)
- Kula does Slider Shoot, which is -11. If just the tip makes contact, it is much safer on block.
- Low attack
- 2F frametrap after blocked B Ray Spin
- Clean string after blocked D Ray Spin (2nd hit), so you can stuff command grabs and throws if opponent blocks the second hit standing.
- For D Ray Spin, can only be used if Ray Spin makes contact.
- Whiffs under airborne foes
EX: A ‘medium Ray Spin’ that stays low to the ground like B Ray Spin but launches like C Version. More damaging than regular versions, even on block, and has 7 frames of startup invincibility, and is active on the 12th frame.
- EX Stand - (f+B after EX Ray Spin)
- Is +1 on block
- If slightly delayed in the corner after EX Ray Spin, can hit twice, and still allow followup to dp+C
- Can still be thrown out of startup after blocked EX Ray Spin, as there is a 2F gap
- EX Sit - (f+B after EX Ray Spin)
- Is a clean string after EX Ray Spin, so this will stuff an opponent's throw attempt if they expect EX Stand after a blocked EX Ray Spin.
Counter Shell - (qcb+A/C)
- Kula swipes her hand and absorbs normal projectiles before countering with an ice crystal.
- The projectile that is produced from Counter Shell cannot be reflected
- (v. 2.0) Counters all projectiles.
- Launches on hit, but recovery is too long to juggle after recovery.
- Can be super cancelled to qcf,qcf+P. (Can buffer qcf, qcb+P, qcf+P to make the super cancel easier)
EX: Counters EX projectiles. The ice crystal she shoots back becomes 2 hits.
- Launches on hit with faster recovery, allowing followups like EX Ray Spin or Crow Bites based on opponent's height.
- Shifts Kula's hurtbox backwards on frame 1, evading many horizontally shallow attacks.
Super Special Moves
Diamond Edge - (qcf, qcf+A/C)
- Kula creates a huge, diagonal pillar of ice from the ground right in front of her
- Good in juggle combos as it connects properly on airborne foes
- Combos easily from her heavy normals, f+A, and Crow Bite super cancels
- Has some utility as an anti-air due to angle and size, but slow startup and no invincibility make it iffy
- Unsafe if blocked with run up punish, but low profile while in recovery animation.
Max: Creates 3 ice pillars that do great damage. Has a ton of startup invincibility but slow startup, making it a bad reversal but good for going through slower moves. Not possible to connect all three ice pillars midscreen for full damage against cornered opponent, and difficult midscreen.
Frozen Arena - (qcf, qcf+B/D)
- Kula slides about half screen across the ground, leaving pillars of ice behind her.
- Combos from Kula’s heavy normals, f+A, and her Crow Bite super cancels
- If done close enough, Kula switches side with the opponent even on block.
- Does more damage than Diamond Edge in short combos but it can be harder to connect both hits.
- Better to use on grounded opponents as it tends to lose damage during juggles
- Sets up safe jumps; out of the corner, Kula can cross up with delayed j.C
- Unsafe on block; opponents can buffer a super as soon as it hits and punish hard
Max: Increased damage and range. Has startup invincibility (introduced in Version 2.0). Does more damage while setting up the same safe jumps. As anchor, this is the 2-bar super to use for Climax canceling against grounded opponents.
Climax Super Special Moves
Glacier Ridge - (hcb, hcb+AC)
- Kula chucks three huge pillars of ice that extend almost full-screen, which encases the foe in ice on hit. She then causes the block of ice to burst apart, causing huge damage.
- (v. 2.0) Is now startup invincible.
- Combos easily from her heavy normals, canceled f+A and Crow Bites super cancels
- (v. 1.05) D Lay Spin's damage was increased, making it optimal for various combos.
- (v. 1.05) Diamond Edge's damage was decreased, making it suboptimal for various combos.
- (2017-04-17 Need to revise combos)
Meterless: description here
1 Meter: description here
EX: description here
- cr.Bx2, st.B, dp+C = (192 DMG)
(Can whiff on certain crouching characters)
- cr.Bx2, st.B, df+B = (153 DMG)
(Hits every character You can cancel df+B into MAX MODE to create a safe jump)
- cl.C 1 hit, f+A, qcb+B, f+D, dp+C = (279 DMG)
(4-frame punish combo)
- cl.D 1 hit, f+A, qcb+B, f+D, dp+C = (294 DMG)
(7-frame punish combo)
- st.C, qcb+B, f+D, dp+C = (279 DMG)
(st.C combo, hits from max range)
- st. CD, qcb+D (whiff), dp+C = (182 DMG)
(Midscreen combo off a CD wall splat)
- st. CD, delay qcb+D, dp+C = (268 DMG)
- st. CD, whiff D Ray Spin, dp+C, qcfx2+A/C = (278 DMG)
- cl.C(1), f+A, qcb+B~f+D, dp+C(1) qcfx2+A/C = (369 DMG)
(4-frame punish; great damage. Caution: If used as confirm, note that f+A and qcb+B are minus enough to be punished with 2-bar supers from many characters)
- cl.D(1), f+A, qcb+B~f+D, dp+C(1), qcfx2+A/C = (384 DMG)
(7-frame point blank punish. Even better damage. Caution: If used as confirm, note that f+A and qcb+B are minus enough to be punished with 2-bar supers from many characters)
- st. C, qcb+B~f+D, dp+C(1), qcfx2+A/C = (375 damage)
(Slow but long-range punish; far C reaches further than st.B: Caution: If used as confirm, note that f+A and qcb+B are minus enough to be punished with 2-bar supers from many characters)
- cr.B cr.B st.B, dp+C(1) qcfqcf+K = (299 DMG)
(Two-hit low confirm. Kula is close to the opponent after this hard knockdown. She can then time a safe hop C afterwards, and even use an ambiguous crossover hop C if the opponent is not in the corner. If opponent is too far after st.B hits, Kula will be airborne for dp+C and be unable to super cancel. If opponent is too far after the second cr.B hits, st.B (and probably dp+C) will whiff too. Kula will likely eat a full combo afterwards. Can finish with qcfqcf+P instead for 5 more damage, but recovers too late to get a safe jump (though she can still get a meaty on a cornered opponent)
- cl.C 1 hit, f+A, qcb+D, dp+C 1 hit, qcfx2+A/C = (378 DMG)
- cl.D 1 hit, f+A, qcb+D, f+B, dp+C 1 hit, qcfx2+A/C = (393 DMG)
- st.C, qcb+D, f+B, dp+C 1 hit, qcfx2+A/C = (317 DMG)
- cr.Bx2, st.B, dp+C, qcfx2+BD = (404 DMG)
(Sets up safe jump)
- st.C, BC, cl.C 1 hit, f+A, qcf+AC, qcfx2+BD = (439 DMG)
(Sets up safe jump. 4-frame punish. Good damage and knockdown. Can safe hop afterwards, and even crossover hop C if opponent isn't in the corner)
- CD, whiff D Ray Spin, dp+C 1 hit, hcbx2+AC = (509 DMG)
- cr.Bx2, st.B, dp+C 1 hit, qcfx2+B/D, qcfx2+AC = (524 DMG)
- cl.D 1 hit, f+A, qcb+B, f+D, dp+C 1 hit, hcbx2+AC = (599 DMG)
- st.C, qcb+B, f+D, dp+C 1 hit, hcbx2+AC = (606 DMG)
- cl.C 1 hit, f+A, BC, cl.D 1 hit, qcf+AC, hcbx2+AC = (529 DMG)
(Less damage but easier execution)
- CD, whiff D Ray Spin, dp+C 1 hit, qcfx2+A/C, delay hcbx2+AC = (628 DMG)
- cr.Bx2, st.B, dp+C 1 hit, qcfx2+A/C, delay hcbx2+AC = (638 DMG)
- cl.D 1 hit, f+A, qcb+B, f+D, dp+C 1 hit, qcfx2+A/C, delay hcbx2+AC = (708 DMG)
- st.C, qcb+B, f+D, dp+C 1 hit, qcfx2+A/C, delay hcbx2+AC = (725 DMG)
- cl.C 1 hit, f+A, dp+C 1 hit, qcfx2+BD, hcbx2+AC = (746 DMG)
- cl.D 1 hit, f+A, dp+C 1 hit, qcfx2+BD, hcbx2+AC = (761 DMG)
- st.C, dp+C 1 hit, qcfx2+BD, hcbx2+AC = (781 DMG)
KoF XIV: Kula Beginner Breakdown
Kula Slow Motion Hitboxes
TTT karn (Toronto, Ontario, Canada), DiamondDust132, Overheat
Discuss at [add character section link here Dream Cancel]