The King of Fighters '98 UMFE/Kyo Kusanagi
- cl. A/B/C/D are cancel-able.
- cl. A/B are chain-able
- cl. A: An elbow that hits high.
- cl. B: Hits low.
- cl. C: Has very fast start-up. Great combo starter and anti-air.
- cl. D: A bit slower than cl. C.
- Far A: Hits high and is cancel-able. Good for stopping hops.
- Far B: Has more endlag than far A, but has more range.
- Far C: A backfist with a noticable bit of startup. Whiff/cancel-able.
- Far D: A sobat kick that hits mid. Can avoid lows.
- cr. A/C/D are whiff/cancel-able.
- cr. A/B are chain-able.
- cr. A: Hits mid. Standard outward jab.
- cr. B: Fast low that could start combos.
- cr. C: Rising uppercut that hits mid. Used to react against jumps and hops.
- cr. D: Can low profile under fireballs.
- j. A: Ok air-to-air.
- j. B: Downwards knee. Great cross-up and jump-in from a hop. Instant-overhead.
- j. C: Another good jump-in.
- j. D: A flip kick that could put on pressure when spaced. A bit difficult to cross-up with.
- n. j. B: Knee is out horizontally instead of down and forward. Decent air-to-air.
- n. j. D: Kyo kicks almost directly in front of him. Good air-to-air.
- CD: Soft knockdown, whiff/cancel-able. Average start-up.
- j. CD: Soft knockdown. Pretty big hitbox.
Anvil Slam -(close) f/b + C
Swift Shoulder Throw -(close) f/b + D
Drop to Naraku - (air) d + C
Thundering Axe Burst - f + B
Style 818 - df + D
Wicked Chew [114 Shiki: Aragami] - qcf + A
- Masticate [128 Shiki: Kono Kizu]:
- (during Wicked Chew) qcf + P
- Oxidation [127 Shiki: Yano Sobi] - (during Masticate) A/C, (during Wicked Chew) hcb + A/C
- Rapids of Rage [125 Shiki: Nana Se] - (during Masticate or Oxidation from Wicked Chew) B/D
- Instantaneous Smash [Ge Shiki: Migiri Ugachi] - (after Oxidation from Wicked Chew sequence = qcf + A, hcb + A/C ) A/C
Poison Gnawfest [115 Shiki: Dokugami] - qcf + C
- Recitation of Sins [401 Shiki: Tsumi Yomi] - (during Poison Gnawfest) hcb + A/C
- Verdict [402 Shiki: Batsu Yomi] - (during Recitation of Sins) F + A/C
Fire Ball [100 Shiki: Oniyaki] - dp + P
- Kyo's DP. Can be combo'd into from most normals.
- Soft knockdown
- Has autoguard at the beginning of the move.
- The hitbox hits high and in front of Kyo.
- A version deals one hit. Safer to use in combos.
- C version deals two hits, travels higher, and has more invincibility, making it a good reversal.
R.E.D. Kick - rdp + K
- Kyo flies through the air and lands his foot directly on top of the opponent.
- Hits mid. Hard knockdown.
- B version travels 1/2 screen distance.
- D version travels 3/4 screen distance.
New Wave Smash [75 Shiki: Kai]: qcf + K, K (B or D)
- Kyo jumps up with one foot, then after pressing kick again, kicks with the other.
- 2nd hit juggles the opponent
- Soft knockdown
- B version only allows for dp+p to connect.
- D version can be followed up with qcf+A/dp+p/rdp+k/hcb+k/DM. Can also link into the light version.
Phantom Mauler [910 Shiki: Nue Tsumi] - qcb + P
- Kyo raises his arm in front of him, down to up.
- Soft knockdown
- Can counter lows when arm is lowered, and mids and highs while the arm is rising.
- Low counter triggers Tora Fuse. It's just Migiri Ugachi, the punch to the ground. Hard knockdown.
- Mid/High counter triggers Ryuu Iri, in which Kyo thrusts his elbow forward.
- C version has Kyo wait a bit before rising, letting the low counter stay active for longer.
Crescent Slash [212 Shiki: Kototsuki Yo]: hcb + B/D
- Kyo runs after the opponent, faster than his normal run, then hits the opponent with his elbow into an explosive, one-handed choke.
- On-hit command grab. Very unsafe on block.
- Can be combo'd into from heavy normals and f+B.
- Hard knockdown. Allows for okizeme opportunity.
- B version travels 3/4 screen distance.
- D version travels full screen distance.
Final Showdown - qcf qcf + A/C
Serpent Wave (Orochinagi) - qcb hcf + A/C (push down to hold)
0 Meter combos
1.) (j.A/B/C/D), cl. C/D, qcf + C, hcb + C, f + C
- this is an very important and well damaging combo that ends in a rollable knockdown. Be sure to practice this one and nail it 100% of the time it hits. Do not use this combo as a blockstring because the tail end of it is very punishable. If you opponent blocks the cl. C or D after you jump in, just either block and wait for them to respond with something, or continue pressure with a f + B, qcf + A, or a hyper hop B or CD. If you go far as to do the qcf + C when they are blocking, you can frame trap with if they press any buttons with a qcb + A/C counter move, or even an Oni Yaki dp + A/C if you are feeling risky. You can start this combo with a cross up Naraku Otoshi (d + C).
2.) (j.A/B/C/D), cl. C/D, rdp + B
- ends in a unrollable knockdown. You may be punished if the rdp + B is blocked. After you knock them down, you can give them a 50/50 okizeme mixup by hitting them with a meaty j.B/C or j. d + C when they rise.
3.) (j.A/B/C/D), cl. C/D, hcb + B/D
- the hcb + B/D ends the opponent up in a unrollable knockdown for you can walk up slightly and cross them up with a j.B/C or j. D + C
4.) in the corner only, cl. C/D, qcf + D, D, (hcb + B/rdp + B/qcf + A, hcb + A, f + A/sj.B)
- After the qcf + D, D for more damage you can do the 'qcf + A, hcb + A, f + A' rekkas, or slightly lesser damage, but to end them in a unrollable knockdown you can end with the 'qcb + B' or 'rdp + B', and for an air reset, you can just do sj. B.
5.) cr. B, cl. C, etc.
- useful 1-2 frame link that can give you some good damage from starting from a low attack. Cl.C can be brought into his (qcf + C, hcb + C, f + C), or (rpd + B) or his (hcb + B/D)
Desperation Move Combos
1.) cr. B, cr. A XX qcf, qcf + A/C
- A very important combo which nets you great damage confirming from a low. Every Kyo player needs to learn this. You can add two cr.B's before the cr.A, or a cl.C to cr.B to cr.A or st. A for a 3 hit starter.
1.) qcf. C, ABC, cr. A, qcf, qcf + A/C
2.) close qcf. C, ABC, cl. C, qcf. C, hcb. A/C, f+ A/C
3.) low health, cross up, qcf. C, ABC, qcb, hcf + P